Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A time to eat and a time to move..

Swiss Rosti with salmon @ Marche


YES, I know it has been far too long since I wrote  here. But  I'm back!  The food scene here in Singapore is buzzing  and this is mostly because no one has the time to cook and enjoy the process. A lot of people are too "stressed out" and prefer to eat at the hawker centres with their dubious whole chickens which are left hanging the whole day. This had led to a population who knows their food and where to get the best of the Kway Teo or Ayam Penyet. The cuisine here is a a fusion of Chinese, Indian and Malay resulting in Parantha bomb or Nasi biryani. Neither of which I have come across in India!

I was so happy the other day when I chose to eat at a street coffee shop and ended up saving 15 dollars cos I did not eat at a cafe!
The food was simple and delicious. Hot lemon tea, toast with two generous slices of butter and soft boiled eggs. The eggs were so runny that I had to practically drink them from the bowl as she had given me a tea spoon to eat them with! How on earth is the yolk supposed to survive the journey from the bowl to your mouth without breaking?
Still me with my childhood aversion to all gooey soft dishes ate all my egg!
This may have been due to my workout just ten minutes ago without which I am sure to resemble a baby hippo with a bad hair day!

Kopitiam breakfast!



The picture below is one of the best Indonesian meals I have eaten since I got here. We had Gado Gado along with the grilled chicken which was a mixture of sprouts and other veggies with a delicious peanut sauce.




Ayam Bakham



I borrowed this documentary on Julia Child from the library and was so impressed by her food philosophy and the effect that her TV series had on an entire generation of cooks. She had become famous at the time when companies were trying to push their ready to eat canned products. Julia made the women realise that is was incredibly rewarding to produce a good meal and do other things. Her enthusiasm on the show is infectious and she never gor flustered when she made a mistake. In fact audiences watched to see how she would recover or cover them up!

“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude.” 
― Julia Child

AND

“If you're afraid of butter, use cream.” 
― Julia Child

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment